Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Promise to My Children

I promise that I will always love you, no matter what you do. There is nothing you can do that is unforgivable, nor that would make me stop loving you.

I promise that there really is nothing in the world more important to me than the health and safety of my family. You can test this as many times as you like, but I will always be your advocate.

I promise that you do not have to go into battle unarmed. I will teach you every way I know to defend yourself, and if that fails, I will be your shield.

I promise that no matter the problem, I want you to know that I will help you figure it out. Two heads and two hearts are far better than one.

I promise that if you think your heart is breaking, mine is already broken.

I promise that in your journey through life, you are not alone and never will be. Please be braced by my encouragement and never-ending support.

I promise that I will help you to understand the world so that when you need to make choices, you might be able to see the larger picture.

I promise that no matter how old you are and no matter where you live, I am only a step or a phone call away. Please wear out your dial pad calling me.

I promise that when things seem most scary, it is because you simply understand the consequences of actions and that the fear has to be there so that you stop and think.

I promise that every time I look at you, I see both the infant I carried and your future all wrapped up in more love than you could possibly imagine.

I promise that if you tell me you can't handle it, I will be there to carry you.

I promise that I will always love you. Always.

3 comments:

Sanders said...

So Sweet!

Anonymous said...

This is very touching, Courtenay. You are a great mom.

Jeanette said...

I absolutely love this!! Brought tears to my eyes. I think it would be perfect to have framed!

Jeanette