Wednesday, August 18, 2010

'Twas the Night Before School...

Tonight is Milo's last night as a wee one.  Why?

Tomorrow morning he starts Kindergarten.  He's in a class of 20, of which five are preschool friends.  I like that.  I really like that he gets to sit next to his close friend at his table.  The other poor red circles will never know what hit them!

We toured his room, met his teacher.  He was, naturally, playing shy.  So I introduced him as my "fashion accessory" since he was clinging to my leg with his left cheek mashed into my, um, right cheek.  That didn't last long, though, as his curiosity led him to explore the room while I signed up to bring treats for the Halloween party and filled out a schedule saying that we were picking him up and dropping him off daily.

He found the hook for his backpack, his place at his table, his cubby, and unloaded his school supplies carefully into the appropriate containers.  He chatted with a couple of friends, peered into toy bins, and stuck his head in the bathroom.  We noted some of the decorations, pointed out the calendar and some of the stations around the room.

Someone asked me if I would be tearful tomorrow.  I don't know.  I'm generally not a sentimental person and have much excitement for him, knowing that he will have fun learning and doing and exploring and friending.

And his poor teacher?  Well, Scott and I introduced ourselves.  And then we engaged in some witty repartee with a friend.  And volunteered left and right.  And probably overwhelmed her with our enthusiasm and slightly off-beat humor.  That's not really a bad problem to have, is it?

3 comments:

Vernetta said...

How exciting! I hope he loves kindergarten as much as kindergarten will love him. And it's posts like this that will make you glad in 20 years that you maintained a blog - mark my words. We'll laugh about it over martinis in Chicago ...

The Grasshoppa:Triplets Plus Two Momma said...

awwww...we are right behind ya. Not that I am counting down or anything. It's just 8 hours of triplet freedom. Not big deal ;)

Jenny said...

Ahhh...the first day of school! what a treat! I hope all goes well - I'm sure Milo will love it. As for me - I always love the slightly off beat parents. One of my good friends started off as a parent of a student...she came to the open house with a nose ring, a buzz cut, and a toy poodle tucked under her arm. We've been great friends ever since!